Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ignorance Is Bliss.

You guys will have to pardon me. It's 9am, exactly an hour before my first class, but I still had to blog really quick. I'm taking this art history course, African Art & Society, and it was far from what I expected. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this class, and my professor. But the subject matter...whoo...It makes me want to start a riot.

I'm too short on time to go into detail here but, trust, you'll be hearing more about this in the future. I know it's not anything new for African Americans to take AFRO courses in college and become all militant and crap. In the grand scheme of things, a lot of the social unjustices and oppression is VERY recent, and understandably, I think, strikes a nerve. That said, I can hardly contain myself in this class, which focuses on the CURRENT injustices and oppression in Blacks in Africa, not America. Though this class focuses on art of the conitinent, my (white) professor, whom I'm pretty sure is anti-Western, makes a point to acknowledge the cultural ignorance involved in the perception of African art.

Y'all might be wondering why I'm even blogging about this at 9 in the morning. It's because I just had my coffee with a side of 'primitivsm' and 'fetishism' of the African female. I'm gonna have a mouthful to say in lecture today.

I hate what I know now because it means that I'll have to go and change the world all by myself. Dammit.

Buuut I'd better start getting dressed. I may be back later to elaborate on this post.
Til then, todaloo!

3 comments:

Experience is the best teacher. said...

Please elaborate. I'm interested.

And if I were coming w/ out time constraints, I would love to have lunch w/ you but I'm not coming until like 8pm, (only about 2 hours 2 get drunk, get dressed, and get to the party) going to the Canopy party and then leaving at like 9 am b/c a buddy who's riding w/ me has to be at work by 12:30. If I see you at the Canopy, I'll stop and say hi! :-)

strangetimes said...

Sounds like a fascinating class. I would love to be a fly on the wall there.

Nikki said...

I love this post!
<3 nikki
ps: it is cold in scotland!

Related Posts with Thumbnails