Monday, October 19, 2009

Updates...

What's new blog fam?

Last week was a very interesting for me. I was insanely busy, but it wasn't just because of school work. This semester, I've made it my mission to stay involved and take advantage of the educational and social activities my campus has to offer. And there are quite a few. On Wednesday, I attended a lecture by the lovely Marlee Matlin. You might know her best as the deaf dancer on Dancing with the Stars or as Jennifer Beal's love interest on The L Word.



She was plugging her memoir, I'll Scream Later, a book about her rise to fame, despite her deafness. I bought the book and actually got to meet her when she autographed it. I'd post pictures of the event but Blogger always screws me over when I try to...

Friday was pretty eventful as well. I already kind of told you guys about the exhibit I'm co-curating right? Well, if I didn't, I PROMISE to devote an entire post to it in the near future. I don't want to simply summarize it in a few sentences because it's a project that I'm really invested in. Anyway, on Friday my collegues and I had a round table discussion with community artists, museum curators, professors, and community leaders to discuss the way we wanted to execute the exhibit. We're teaming up with other organizations in the area to be apart of the 150th anniversary of the town (sorry for being so cryptic, but I'm not quite sure that giving away the name of my school and town is the best idea right now). It was an awesome networking opportunity, and my contributions definitely put me on the map with the curators at the museum I work at. Suddenly I went from just a student security guard to scholar in their eyes, and they recognize me as such.

After attending the panel discussion, a friend and I went to see a performance at the theater. Aftwards, we hit up a friends birthday party, and bar hopped for the rest of the night.

I had a good time. I'm trying to come out of my shell a bit and be more involved on my campus. Who knew that if I wasn't so antisocial, I'd start meeting people...Hehe.

p.s.

I have a date Wednesday. I hope it goes well...

1 comments:

Gem said...

I love this entire post. I'm a big fan of Marlee and The L Word. I am sooo crunk about you making moves in Art History; I really need you to elaborate more on here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails