Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Meet Florence Teye

I'm so excited guys! So, about a week ago I was moved to sponsor a child. Yep, straight up moved to. It hit me how fortunate and blessed I've been lately. I really wanted to find a way to give back and do something that would benefit someone. I let it marinate for a while and finally it struck me to sponsor a child. I did some research and decided to go with PlanUSA because it was less mainstream and more grassroots. Because the organization is smaller in scale, it's easier for relationships to be fostered between the child and benefactor. I also chose them because they promised that the $24 I give each month will go directly to the child and her family, instead of to a foundation.

Anyway, today my welcome kit came! It included all of the resources I'll need to communicate with the family. It came complete with a personalized letter and photo of my child, Florence Teye. She's 5 years old, from Ghana.


(I really hate Blogger sometimes. Tried to rotate this ^ picture but it kept coming in like this :-/)

Isn't she a cutie?

I'm really excited about sending my first letter. Can't wait to start building a relationship with this little girl and her family. Man, this just made my week=).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This really warmed my heart. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

AAWWWWww she is a doll! seriously look at her precious self!!!



(Rotate pics while in the computer, blogger won't do it)

Bloggal said...

@ qq: i know, she's too precious, isn't she?

the pic was already upright but it kept rotatin when i uploaded it so i just gave up.

Anonymous said...

Aw! So proud of you. Keep bringing that level of positivity to the world.

Mrs. Mary Mack said...

She's cute! I adopted a child a few years ago from one of the larger organizations and they sent me a pic of some kid who looked like he was fresh out of the militia in Rwanda! LOL I felt really bad when I had to stop payments but the cost of the kid kept going up. I think it got up to $35 a month and I was fresh out of school trying to make ends meet. I always wonder what happened to little Jean. Maybe I should adopt another one to replace my bad Karma! LOL

Glad you're making a difference!

Blank said...

Wow thats really awesome. I should consider it! I was really into community service in college. I'v fallen off a lot but i need to jump back on again.

Experience is the best teacher. said...

Awwww, she IS a little cutie pie and it's very sweet of you to sponsor her.

It's funny that you bring this up. I was talking to some friends the other week about where our tithe money goes in church, and I was thinking of doing something like this myself.

Thanks for the info... Off to research this organization...

A said...

She is GORG and you are a great individual!

Bloggal said...

@ mrsmack: bad karma? pleeeaaaase. you did what you could while you could. that's what i intend to do. as long as i am employed and able, i'll keep making the contributions.

@ young black beauty: i'm not really involved around campus but i wish i was. in the next semester, i'm going to try to start off the year volunteering and incorporate it into my weekly schedule.

@ Expericence: i like to think of it the same way. i'm not a church goer by any means but i still want to give back somehow. this is my way of skipping the middle man.

but there are tons of organizations out there. i chose this one cause it was a little easier on the pockets (most were $30/month plus). keep looking and i think you'll find one that's right for you. let me know if you decide to sponser anyone:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails