Sunday, February 22, 2009

PSA: Pay It Foward.

I won't even go into detail of my weekend. All I will say is this: I fucked up.
This will definitely be the last time I go out for a while. For one, I wasted hella money that I don't have. And two, wasted tiiiimmmmme that I didn't care to waste. So, Bloggal is definitely taking a party hiatus. Not like I partied a whole lot anyway so I know I won't miss it.

The sad part is, my major fuck up was the most interesting thing that happened this weekend.

Anywhoo, for a drastic change of topic, I'm taking this class called Writing Across Media. Absolutely loving it for the sheer fact that it's a class about the evolution of writing and communication. Our course work is primarily done online and on blogs, and we get to do all sorts of artsy fartsy projects, which is right up my alley. The latest project was to make a stencil that we'd hypothetically spray paint as graffiti. The idea was to come up with a meaningful message that would strike a chord in society if see on say, a garbage can or a the side of a building. Luckily, I'm somewhat a stencil fiend anyway, so I already had the tools and know-how going into this project. I stencil alot of clothing/artwork in my freetime so I wanted to do something a little more technically challenging for my piece. This is what I came up with.



Sorry for the blurriness:-/

Everyone's aware of this concept, right? If not from seeing the movie Pay If Forward, most people know that to 'pay it forward' is to perform a random act of kindness for a stranger, and in return, they do something nice for someone else. What results is a web of kind acts, that began with one person.

Sometimes we’re so stuck in our own worlds, so concerned about getting ahead in our own lives, that we don’t take the time to notice people in need around us. We're a very self-serving/absorbed people, and that's okay. That's how we were made. But every once in a while, it's good to do something that will benefit someone else...and without the expectation of getting something in return. It doesn't have to be a grand gesture. It could be something as simple as holding a door open for someone, or helping a little old lady across the street. The point is just do something for someone else.

So, consider this a public service announcement. A little reminder that a small kind act can go a long way.


"


5 comments:

CoogieCruz said...

"Pay it Forward" is actually the theme at the school I work in this year for their campaign. It's been great teaching the kiddies the concept of it and seeing how they're starting to not be so egocentric. I have a design similar to your stencil on my classroom door right now, lol.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

dang babe read me if u need economic fortitude

Experience is the best teacher. said...

Pay it forward is a great concept.

Hope you didn't have TOO much craziness this weekend. And I hope your major fuck up isn't something that's too hard to bounce back from!

:-)

Anonymous said...

I'm very big on small acts of kindness. They're the best because they really cost nothing and so they end up being true gifts. (The nature of a gift is something that you release without precondition or expectation.) I try to give as many smiles, well wishes and polite gestures as I can throughout the day. Not only does it help others, but the good energy that you release attracts more good energy and you can never have too much good energy!

Gem said...

I love your stencil idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails