Monday, September 1, 2008

Weekend Wrap-Up

I feel flaky.

I hate that I can't devote time to this blog like I used to. Especially since my life has gotten that much more interesting since the summer lol. Oh well. I'll just write when I can. And no matter how busy I become and how rarely I write, I'll never terminate or "take a break" from my blog. Can't do it.

Another thing I've been noticing about myself, is that I don't write as much because the content isn't directly related to love, sex, or relationships. A while back, I had made a different blog called Not About Love, that I'd write all my non-romantic musings in. But managing two blogs on the same network is too much of a hassle. So, this is now an all purpose blog. I'll try to stay true to the theme but, THANKFULLY, I have more going on in my life than romantic matters, and I need a place to put them down.

That said, a weekend wrap-up is definitely in order.

Work and Wisdom.

Saturday I started my job at the art gallery. I worked an 8 hour shift on my first day (9-5). Maybe I just have a high tolerance for boredom and staying on my feet, but it wasn't half bad. A 30 minute lunch was provided, as well as two 15 minute breaks. And I got my exercise for the day, by walking up and down the gallery I was assigned to. According to my pedometer, I walked almost 5 miles lol.

The art work was pretty amazing too. There are about 6 galleries in the museum--3 that are permanent, and 3 that house different exhibits. It's a pretty nice to place to be, considering my field of study is Art History. The dosen who works there is pretty much a genius. He answered every question I had about the pieces of work, including their value. Put it like this, ONE painting there is worth 1.5 million dollars...I'm already plotting to steal one.

It probably would've been alot more enjoyable if I hadn't gone to bed 4 hours before I had to wake up for work, on Friday. I was so exhausted. I know, very irresponsible of me to booze the night before my first day of work, but I only had one drink. Plus, it was my first chance to chill with my people since I got back to school.

We went to a local bar where all the white people go. We got in for free, without ID checks, and partied hunky style. While I was there, I ran into a guy I was talking to toward the end of last year, named Wisdom--no, that's not a nickname. I nipped it in the bud because I realized that he was one of those "I like light-skinned chicks, but I'll settle for dark meat/You're pretty for a dark-skinned girl/I'll date a dark-skinned chick but I'd never marry one" type of guys. Why is that the super dark skinned brothers always seem to have that color complex? So sad...But aside from that, he's on the football team and I don't mess with jocks--figuratively or literally--because about half the team has an STD.

Anyway, I worked Sunday afternoon as well, which went much better because I came equipped with coffee and a book.

Shall We Dance?

For a long time now, I've wanted to learn how to ballroom dance. Don't get me wrong--I can get down on the dance floor. But juking has gotten old. So has that Soulja Boy bull shit. I want to broaden my horizons, and learn a more refined dance.

So, last night I went to a dance workshop that was being offered on my campus. It took alot of bravery to go up there by myself, but now I'm really glad I did. They showed us a survey of the dances classes they offer, including the Tango, Foxtrot, ChaCha, and West Coast Swing. They taught us a few moves--which I caught on to surprisingly quickly--and I was sold.

The course is $60 for 10 weeks, which is not chump change for a poor college student, but I think it's still a worthwhile investment. It's something that I can look forward to do--by myself--every week. And if I get get good enough, I'd even be able to go on to competitions and conventions...For right now though, I'll settle for it being something to help keep me in shape.

Oh, there's another Upside: the guys were surprisingly good-looking.
Downside: the guys were unsurprisingly uncoordinated.

Anyway, I'll leave you with a few videos. These are the styles they taught us yesterday.

Happy Labor Day!


West Coast Swing

I'd never seen this style before yesterday, but I loved it.



.....Left you wanting more, right? lol



Cha Cha Cha

The first minute and a half is basically a striptease, so if you wanna cut straight to the dancing, feel free to fast forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love the idea of some dancing classes to jazz it up a bit.... that'd be fun, Work at a museum sounds all kinds of my type of deal!

Bloggal said...

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to both:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails