Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Imitation of Life

My English professor told us on the first day of class that, by the end of the semester, we'd be man-hating Feminazis and I'm starting to think she's right. I'm by no means a man hater, but I'm truly starting to understand the pseudo-feminist views that she has.
We just finished reading a book by Fannie Hurst called Imitation of Life. Set in the 1920s, the story is about a business woman who builds an empire by the age of 25, but in her quest for financial success and security, she neglected her personal life. When she finally did attempt to pursue a meaningful relationship with a man, it didn't work out. So what she settled for some "man lovin"--today's equivalent of a boo.
Last night, I didn't go to sleep until 5am and I had to wake up at 8 but, thanks to a very large cup of java, today turned out to be a great one. For once, I wasn't up into the wee hours of the night doing homework. This time, it was a much more recreational pastime that kept me awake. Mr. Cocky and I broke our silence as I knew we would. After couple hours of hanky panky (yes, I am gloating now lol) he said, "Ugh...we really need to stop doing this."

At first, I began to nod my head in agreement--he was right. We had to stop. But then I thought about it. Why stop? We're both single, consenting adults with needs. Why not make the most of this convenient situation.

Maybe it was reading the book that sparked the epiphany in me. I'm a full time student with a bright future ahead of me. My plans for a career as a writer/art historian are panning out beautifully, with many of the recent opportunities that I've had. Though I would love to be in a stable relationship, I simply don't have time for one right now. I'm far from being a workaholic with no time for social ventures, but I do know where my focus is and it's on my career. That said, the most that I can manage right now is an imitation of a relationship. A little "man lovin."

Eventually I said, "No, we shouldn't stop." And it didn't take much to convince him of that.


Ideally, today's modern woman can have it all. Love. Sex. Relationships. Success. But is that really true or are we forced to choose? And if we do choose a our careers over all else and settle for sex without love, is it just an imitation of life?

PS

I hate Blogspot. I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to format this post. I give up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

which is what I told you!!!

use condoms, and pills don't fall all too quick, experiment, speak up!... this is what your 20s are for dammit!

antithesis said...

i have to agree, you are still young. that is what your college years are for. also, i didnt read the book but the movie is great!

kit von b. said...

i shoulda known mother bird QQ woulda been the 1st to comment on this post. i like ur eng professor, and i wanna read that book.

wassup wit dude tho? like, whats his malfunction? tombout "Ugh...we really need to stop doing this."

any guy should consider himself lucky to even be in your presence god damnit.

-KB

Bloggal said...

@ qq: use condoms, and pills don't fall all too quick, experiment, speak up!...

best advice ever lol

@ antithesis: we watched the movie in class and it was wayyyy different from the book so you might wanna check it out.

@ karrie: he's muslim and fasting for ramadan this month. i guess food isn't the only thing he's supposed to abstain from lol.

Don said...

Bloggal,

I might not be the proper voice to answer the question, but I think you as a huma being can have anything you desire if you work hard and believe. The fact that you are still young and pondering questions such as these says alot about you.

Like those above have said, 'Enjoy Yourself.' First & Foremost.

PhlyyGirl said...

Just found your blog and I like it!!
Anywho,
Um, I'm gonna go ahead and get in the "This is what you're SUPPOSED to do in college" line with everyone else and tell you to enjoy yourself. I don't see any reason why you should stop doing something that you enjoy.
My only concern is that you take care of yourself MENTALLY as well as physically, meaning that don't just wear condoms to protect yourself from icky diseases but all the mind games and feelings that come along with having sex.
Other than that, I say have yourself a ball!!
(no pun, well maybe some pun intended! LOL)

Related Posts with Thumbnails